Wednesday 17 March 2010

I did'ne ken...but I do now

backpack, courtesy of Julia Crew 

The perfect bike needs a perfect bicycle bag, and I think I may have found one, well a whole collection of them actually. A recent graduate of London College of Fashion's new MA course, entitled Fashion and the Environment, Julia Crew has designed a collection of sustainable man bags entitled 'i-did-nee-ken'.

saddlebag, courtesy of Julia Crew

In this collection she confronts head on some of the environmental issues faced by the fashion industry, concentrating her design process into three main areas: Durable design, responsible sourcing of materials and the encouragement of a sustainable lifestyle. This has resulted in bags made specifically to appeal to cyclists, using the highest quality organic waxed cotton and sustainably sourced leather, that are made to last a lifetime. The collection name 'I-did-nee-ken' stems from a Scottish colloquialism meaning 'I didn't know' and illustrates the commitment to transparency and honesty Crew has shown throughout this project.

small satchel, courtesy of Julia Crew

The best thing about these bags is undoubtedly the design; innovative styles that will appeal to a unisex audience (whether they want to or not) and functional features such as the reflective piping and copious amounts of chunky zip pockets. Julia is working on turning her first collection into a business and I for one am holding my breath until I can buy one. For more information on Julia's collection and her fellow student's solutions to environmental issues within the fashion industry you can see the article I wrote regarding the MA show for Amelia's Magazine here.

No comments:

Post a Comment