Monday 8 March 2010

The Greenhouse




We were very pro-active this weekend, D and I. We were awake by 7.30am on Sunday morning and in the garden in record time. I donned my navy blue Hunter wellies and D his (much posher) Le Chameau lovelies-these have a warm neoprene liner to keep your feet cosy. Our task was to clean out the greenhouse which was previously home to a flock of quail...that were delicious roasted the other weekend! We want to grow our own veg and the sunny, Spring(ish) weather spurred us into action.


Growing veg is something I have wanted to do since I was about 14 and had an unhealthy obsession with 'The Good Life' (still do actually), unfortunatley I have very little natural ability with plants. I once managed to kill a plant gifted to me by my boss of the time who said "it would take a miracle to kill this". Well miracles can happen, it was shrivelled and dry in two weeks flat. D has promised to guide me through as he is something of a green fingered pro, being a tree surgeon by profession.


Three hours later the greenhouse was sparkling with cleanliness, the assortment of pots just itching to house the exciting array of delicacies we want to bring to life. I have signed up to the RHS' 'Fruit and Veg Pledge' campaign which encourages individuals to - well grow their own fruit and veg. I signed up in the hope of obtaining a free starter pack, which I think have now run out due to the high demand but you do still get a monthly e-newsletter with expert advice and tips, which I will be pouring over.


No comments:

Post a Comment